Friday, July 21, 2006

A journeying we will go

Since the wasserpumpe things have been going well. I've gone through some 50 liters of veg and I have about 400 at home right now. We've closed in our garage and should be getting our garage door installed today. Once that is done I'll set up my storage barrel in the garage so that I can fill my car up by gravity (with perhaps a bit of assistance).
We've had talk of moving my system out to the shed, but I'm not keen on that right now (partially because the shed is a mess, and partially because of wild animals in the area).
It's nice to be saving money. I'll be sending out a payment form at the end of the month for the veg. I believe it's something like $0.145 per liter. That's pretty good when gas is $1.185 a liter. What a life.
So to recap costs:
Car $1500
Conversion: $500
Repairs: $200
Total: $2200 approx.
Gas for the camry: $1.15 a liter.
2200/1.15 = 1913.04
That's how many liters of Veg I'll have to use before paying off the car... well actually, a bit more as I'll have to pay 14 cents a liter.
To put it another way, we spent $50 a week or so in gas (average is $51.75 without extra trips). $2200/50 = 44 weeks. So if I drive it for a year, we've paid it off.
If we include an average of one long trip a month (an average extra 300 km a trip) that means we're at 2250 km a month which would be $225 a month for the camry. That takes another couple weeks off.

Another funny thing, when you own a mercedes (no matter how battered and old) people feel you belong to a kind of club. Well, so many think. You'll be driving or collecting groceries and a mercedes driver will give you a little wave as you go. It makes me laugh. I was just out collecting oil and this guy drivs up to the restaurant in a pretty new S500 (pretty big sedan (i checked the number on the bumper)). He's in his 60s or 70s and him and his passenger get out and he smiles at me and says "hello". So I gave the customary greeting and was on my way, but I had to chuckle to myself. I guess a lot of people see this as a status symbol... and yet nobody waved when I drove my 1989 camry wagon which cost 3 times as much (and a bit more). Ah well!

P.S. Looks like I'm in for 2 trips to Seattle in the next month. That should put a huge drain on my oil supplies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home