Thursday, March 23, 2006

WVO filter warmer


Goldenrod_heated
Originally uploaded by orthotomeo.
Still waiting for the parts I tinkered a bit and started filtering oil. The oil filtering will be the subject of another day, so today I'll describe this funny looking object here.

It is a GoldenRod Diesel Fuel filter. It's standard farm equipment and can be purchased at Princess Auto for about $30. Like your normal car fuel filters this one prevents grit etc from getting into your engine.

The hose you see wrapped around the filter housing is coolant line. It keeps the oil warm while it is filtering before it gets to the engine. I'm planning on going through and insulating the outside of it to keep it as warm as possible, but for now it does the job!

So the total bills so far for the system has been allocated as follows:
Car setup: $450 (not including the need for a new valve).
Filtration: $70
Total: $530.
Other kits you normally see are around $1000 for basic and as much as $2500 for more complex! Crazy!

I know I'd do things differently if I did this again, but you're always learning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home